Koper Naval Detachment (KND)
At the end of 2012, a "display case of the month" was set up in the Maritime Museum "Sergej Mašera" Piran on the Koper Naval Detachment and a roundtable held on the subject. Furthermore, a publication carrying the same name was published on this occasion.
15 October 1944 is considered the official date of KND founding in the village of Lopar. In memory of this event, the Municipality of Piran celebrates its municipal holiday on 15 October, where the Slovene Community of Partisan Seamen is also functioning within the framework of the Alliance of Combatants for the values of the People's Liberation War. The Maritime Museum "Sergej Mašera" Piran presents in its permanent exhibition 'Slovenian Mariners 1918–1945' also the KND and takes care within the scope of its mission that the memory of the events from our historical semi-past will not sink into oblivion. The memorial plaque on the wall of the Village House at Lopar has been reminding the locals and all visitors from its very unveiling on 13 September 1980 of the arrival of the first Slovenian mariners to this area and calls their attention to the fact that in the liberation of northwestern Istria the Partisan Navy also took part. The naval units of IX Corps can be righteously considered the first Slovenian naval units in our recent history. The decision as to their founding and their activities has contributed to Slovenia gaining, within the framework of the Federative Republic of Yugoslavia, the exit to the sea.